Starting a Business in Texas
Texas's small businesses drive big business dreams. Texas is the leading job creator in the country and has the second largest state economy. Learn how to start and grow your business with the right information and resources.
There are seven basic steps to starting a business in Texas.
1. Write your business plan
2. Choose your business location
3. Finance your business
4. Decide on your business structure and register your business name
5. Determine business tax responsibilities
6. Figure out required licenses and permits
7. Learn business employer requirements
Talk to a tax consultant, accountant, or attorney to check that you meet all legal requirements.
Forms, Fees, and Filing
Part of starting a business is knowing what you’ll need to pay, which forms to file and how to submit those forms.
As you start your business and run your day-to-day operations, you’ll need to file business or nonprofit forms, reporting forms, and you may need to complete paperwork for trademarks.
Know the fees, payment, and filing options for your business.
You can pay by:
- Check or money order payable to the Secretary of State
- Credit card
Professional and occupational licenses and permits
Your business may need certain licenses or permits based on the services or products you offer.
Learn what's needed. Contact the local county and city government where you plan to do business. Download the guide for State required licenses and permits (PDF).
When you know the specific license you need for your occupation, find it in the directory.
Financing and incentives
Different types of bank financing are available to small business owners.
Most lenders will ask for the following items when you apply for a loan:
- Legal papers showing who owns the business
- Business description and history
- Business owners and managers' resumes
- Owners, partners, and officers' current personal financial statements
- Business plan
- Tax returns from the past three years
- Business's current financial statement
- List of loan's proposed uses
- Company's list of assets and debts
- Company's collateral list
Texas Economic Development
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, TX 78711